In AP at Kovvada near Visakhapatnam the people are opposing the NPCIL which is trying to forcefully take over 2080 acres of fertile agricultural land, displacing more than one thousand farmers’ families to construct a nuclear power plant, importing the obsolete Westinghouse nuclear plant from the US. This nuclear company became bankrupt in 2006 as the US has stopped erecting nuclear plants long back. When the Manmohan Singh government wanted to construct a nuclear plant at Mithi Vardhi in Gujarat importing Westinghouse plant, the people there had waged a heroic struggle forcing the government to cancel the project. In spite of this experience, at a time when following Fukushima none of the ‘developed’ countries are going for nuclear energy and are closing down existing plants also, it is madness caused by extreme subservience to US imperialism which is leading the Modi government to import the Westinghouse plant and construct a nuclear plant at Kovvada displacing such a large number of families from their habitat for hundreds of years. So the people’s movement is intensifying demanding the cancellation of the project with the support of all progressive forces.
Latest from Kabeer Katlat
- On Building Communist Party Organization According to Present Conditions - KN Ramachandran
- Marxism and Peasant Question - Pradip Singha Thakur
- Marxism and the Women’s Question - .Sharmistha Choudhury
- Statement of ICOR against attack on Rojava by Turkey with imperialist support! Hands off Rojava!
- Telangana’s Regional Satrap Creates New Records in Suppressing Workers’ Rights: Support theTSRTC Workers who are Resisting Suppression and Continuing the strike .