In AP at Kovvada near Visakhapatnam the people are opposing the NPCIL which is trying to forcefully take over 2080 acres of fertile agricultural land, displacing more than one thousand farmers’ families to construct a nuclear power plant, importing the obsolete Westinghouse nuclear plant from the US. This nuclear company became bankrupt in 2006 as the US has stopped erecting nuclear plants long back. When the Manmohan Singh government wanted to construct a nuclear plant at Mithi Vardhi in Gujarat importing Westinghouse plant, the people there had waged a heroic struggle forcing the government to cancel the project. In spite of this experience, at a time when following Fukushima none of the ‘developed’ countries are going for nuclear energy and are closing down existing plants also, it is madness caused by extreme subservience to US imperialism which is leading the Modi government to import the Westinghouse plant and construct a nuclear plant at Kovvada displacing such a large number of families from their habitat for hundreds of years. So the people’s movement is intensifying demanding the cancellation of the project with the support of all progressive forces.
Latest from Kabeer Katlat
- Condemn the use of force against demonstrators protesting against demolition of Sant Ravidas Ashram,Release Chandrasekhar Azad and all arrested comrades.
- Modi-2 Plans NRC in Assam, Then All India NPR, Followed by Hundreds of Big Detention Camps for Millions of Migrants! Should We Not React?
- Groundwork for Manusmriti Replacing Indian Constitution? - P J James
- Condemn Demolition of Guru Ravidas Ashram in Delhi by Manuvadi Modi Government.
- Modi’s 15th August speech: Another big step towards Hindurashtra!