While Delhi reported 1,813 rape cases per one lakh people, the figure for Mumbai was 607 cases. According to the statistics, among the four metros, Kolkata is the safest city on this front, with 36 cases reported.
The Times of India reported that Mumbai recorded a 55 percent increase in cases of rape and a 67 percent rise in molestation cases from the previous year. This was significantly higher than the overall increase in crimes in Mumbai, which was 16 percent. However, the report quoted Mumbai Commissioner of Police Rakesh Maria as saying that the increase could be attributed to instructions given to the police to register all cases that are brought before them.
The statistics also lend support to the oft-repeated statement that in most cases of rape, the perpetrators are known persons. In as many as 86 percent of the cases across the country, the offenders were known to the survivors. Shockingly, in Himachal Pradesh, this figure is 100%, while in Odisha it is 99.9%. n
Latest from Super User
- Observe 12th December as No to CAB, No To NCR Day, Burn CAB Copies.
- Fake Encounter Killing of the Four Accused in Disha’s Gang Rape
- Disha gang Rape and Murder accused assassination by Telangana State police is unacceptable fascist measure!
- CAB, Strategic Weapon Towards Hindu Rashtra
- Observe Dr. Ambedkar Day, 6th December