According to the order of the Supreme Court dated 29th August, the sedition or defamation cases cannot be slapped on anyone who criticize the government. “It does not invoke an offence under sedition or defamation law. We have made it clear that invoking of section 124(A) of IPC (sedition) requires certain guidelines to be followed as per the earlier judgment of the apex court,” It was giving the order on sedition charges being slapped on agitators protesting against Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project and cartoonist Aseem Trivedi, among others. The petitioner sought a direction that the investigations and prosecutions be dropped in cases where such a reasoned order was not provided and the act in question involved peaceful expression or assembly. The constitutional validity of section 124(A) rests upon either an intention to create public disorder or incitement of violence, it had said.
It is a shame that even seven decades after the “independence” such draconian laws imposed by the colonialists along with AFSPA are allowed to be continued. A major democratic movement is called for to get such draconian black laws repealed
Latest from Super User
- Observe 12th December as No to CAB, No To NCR Day, Burn CAB Copies.
- Fake Encounter Killing of the Four Accused in Disha’s Gang Rape
- Disha gang Rape and Murder accused assassination by Telangana State police is unacceptable fascist measure!
- CAB, Strategic Weapon Towards Hindu Rashtra
- Observe Dr. Ambedkar Day, 6th December