“The university authorities, the Centre and the state government might have thought the Rohith episode was a closed chapter. So long as the issues for which he attained martyrdom remain, his memories will continue to haunt the university and government,” said Dontha Prashant, a leader of the Ambedkar Students Union, at the university.
He and Vemula were among five research scholars the university suspended and expelled from their hostel in August 2015 on a complaint by the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), which accused them of assaulting some of its leaders. The expulsion is believed to have driven Vemula to die by suicide in his hostel room in January 2016. Under pressusre from the students this time the authorities allowed seven scholars from outside including Kancha Eliah to participate in the Convention. Many programs were organized on 17th January in memory of Rohit Vemula and pledging to continue the struggle for academic freedom and for casteist oppression.
Latest from Super User
- Observe 12th December as No to CAB, No To NCR Day, Burn CAB Copies.
- Fake Encounter Killing of the Four Accused in Disha’s Gang Rape
- Disha gang Rape and Murder accused assassination by Telangana State police is unacceptable fascist measure!
- CAB, Strategic Weapon Towards Hindu Rashtra
- Observe Dr. Ambedkar Day, 6th December